Breaking News

Prayers left unheard; 2-year-old Sujith stuck in borewell dies after 3 days

Three days after boy fell into borewell, Tamil Nadu racing against time to save him
Initially the boy was stuck at a depth of 35 feet but later drifted further to over 90 feet. Photos: Twitter

Tiruchirapalli: The two-year-old boy who fell inside a borewell in Nadukattupatti near Tiruchirappalli of Tamil Nadu three days ago has died, government officials said on Tuesday.   

The mortal remains of the child was retrieved in the early hours of Tuesday and taken to Manappara Government Hospital.

Commissioner of Revenue Administration J Radhakrishnan said the body of the child was “dismembered” and in a “highly decomposed” state.

Radhakrishnan said those posted near the borewell observed foul smell around 10.30 pm on Monday following which medical personnel and teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) assessed the situation.

Borewell Accident
When the disaster response force workers asked for a a cloth bag to carry Sujith, the two-year-old’s mother ran inside and stitched one. Photo: Twitter/Jayakumar

Sujith Wilson had fallen into the disused farm borewell while playing near his house in Nadukattupatti on Friday evening, and various central and state agencies were called in to rescue him.

Prayers were held by various sections of society for the child’s early rescue, while leaders such as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and former Congress chief Rahul Gandhi wished the wellbeing of the child.

Earlier on Monday, a heavy German-made drilling machine was deployed to dig a parallel shaft to reach the boy stuck at a depth of 88 feet, but rescue efforts were hampered by rocky soil and rain.

Two Fire and Rescue Services personnel were lowered into the freshly drilled shaft, using a ladder and with all necessary support like oxygen, for initial assessment of the condition inside.

(With inputs from PTI)

Previous ArticleNext Article