New Delhi: Union minister MJ Akbar, who is facing multiple allegations of sexual misconduct, on Sunday returned to India.
However, he refused to make any comments at the airport and merely said he would make a statement later on the #MeToo charges.
The junior foreign minister had been on an official trip abroad.
Delhi: Union Minister MJ Akbar returns to India amid accusations of sexual harassment against him, says, "there will be a statement later on." # pic.twitter.com/k51wQdaevc
— ANI (@ANI) October 14, 2018
While the Bharatiya Janata Party has maintained a studied silence on the matter so far, party sources have said the charges against him are serious, and his continuance as a minister is no longer guaranteed.
A final call will be taken by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, they said.
There is also a view within the party that there is no legal case against him, and allegations pertain to a time long before he became a minster.
Multiple women in the last few days have offered their accounts of alleged sexual harassment by Akbar as the #MeToo movement swept social media, bringing to fore sordid tales of sexual harassment by influential men in different walks of lives.
While the BJP has kept mum, some woman ministers have lent their support to the #MeToo movement without taking a stand on the charges against Akbar.
Party leaders have said it is for Akbar to respond to the charges first.