Breaking News, India

Yakub Memon to hang on July 30 as SC dismisses plea

Yakub Memon
Yakub Memon

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed a curative petition by 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts convict Yakub Abdul Razak Memon, who will hang on July 30.

An apex court bench headed by Chief Justice H.L. Dattu rejected Memon’s petition challenging an earlier decision to uphold the death sentence.

The petition was Memon’s last legal attempt to escape the gallows.

Memon, a key conspirator with Dawood Ibrahim in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, is one of ten convicts awarded death penalty by a special TADA court.

His death sentence was upheld by a Supreme Court bench on March 21, 2013.

Earlier, amid reports that Yakub will be hanged this month end, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis had last week said his government would follow the directives of the Supreme Court on the issue.

“Whatever we do will be made public at an appropriate time,” Fadnavis had said.

If the execution is carried out, it will be the first in connection with the violence that rocked Mumbai resulting in the death of over 250 people in 1993.

Media reports had earlier said the execution will take place if Memon’s curative petition is rejected by the Supreme Court, after his appeals against the death sentence were rejected by the apex court and by President Pranab Mukherjee.

The Nagpur prison officials had said that the jail is equipped with all the necessary facilities to carry out the execution.

With inputs from agencies.

Previous ArticleNext Article