The top court pronounced the verdict while considering a batch of petitions seeking re-conduct of the test following the leak of the question paper and circulation of answer keys through electronic devices at different examination centres across 10 states.
“The Supreme Court allowed our petition with direction of re-conduction of exam. This is a huge victory for the students,” a lawyer who represented the students said.
The apex court vacation bench comprising Justices R.K. Agrawal and Amitava Roy had reserved the order last week as CBSE which had conducted the exam opposed the plea for re-conduct of the examination, saying that it would involve a mammoth exercise spread over a long period.
Appearing for CBSE, Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar had then said that for the conduct of the examination now under question, the preparations were started in October last year and it was conducted on May 3 this year.
This, he had said, to tell the court the magnitude of the efforts that goes into the conduct of the examination and which would have to be re-done if court orders a re-conduct.
Contending that only 44 students were identified as the alleged beneficiaries of the paper leak, the solicitor general had said that it should not come in the way of the declaration of the results affecting 6.30 lakh students who took the entrance test.