Osama bin Laden, the most wanted terrorists of America, the mastermind of 26/11, was killed by US force in May 2, 2011, is still horrifies the minds of the people as revelations regarding him is brought out. The recent revelations prompt members of Congress and terrorism experts to question what else the public might not have been told about Al Qaeda’s history of plotting attacks in the US.
The FBI had a source in direct contact with Osama bin Laden as far back as 1993 and found out that Al Qaeda was planning terror attacks in the US, it has emerged.
The revelation, which came in court testimony in an obscure employment dispute case, is missing from the official investigation into the 9/11 attacks.
The information came out in a 2010 discrimination lawsuit filed against the FBI by former agent Bassem Youssef.
“It was the only source I know in the bureau where we had a source right in al Qaeda, directly involved,” Edward J. Curran, a former top official in the FBI’s Los Angeles office, told the courtroom at the time. However, his testimony went unreported in the media.
Former Rep. Lee Hamilton, an Indiana Democrat who co-chaired the 9/11 Commission, said that as far as he can remember, the FBI never told the commission that it had been working a source so close to bin Laden that many years before 9/11.
“I think it raises a lot of questions about why that information didn’t become public and why the 9/11 Commission or the congressional intelligence committees weren’t told about it,” said Peter Hoekstra, Michigan Republican, who chaired the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence from 2004 to 2007 when MPs dealt with the fallout from the 9/11 Commission’s official report.
Philip Zelikow, who served as the 9/11 Commission’s executive director, said evidence on the activities of Al Qaeda during the early 1990s was not investigated deeply because it was “so distant from the plotting that led directly to the 9/11 attack”.